Subject: Re: my entry for compact marbling program
From: Robert Ackermann <[email-masked]>
To: don lancaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 19:53:57 -0700

The amount displacement (dx, dy) of a given (x, y) point is dominated by 
the nearest tine(s), but all tines make some contribution due to the 
exponential decay of u in the formula z * u ^ | dist |  A point in the 
center of the image is affected by tines above and below and left and 
right in a symmetrical manner (if the tines are somewhat symmetrical). 
Points near the edge of an image are affected by tines only to one side 
or the other and those tines are on average further away (at least for 
the case of the images we have looked at so far: stoner and north, 
south, east, west).  The dominant nearest tines result in the "self 
similarity" but the effect is not in lock step because the points have a 
different relationship with the tines as they head towards the image edges.

On 03/25/2016 05:03 PM, don lancaster wrote:
> What is profound and mind boggling: There is some sort of a "self 
> similarity" thingy going on here
> where things "more or less" look almost similar. But definitely not in 
> lock step.